The expansive lawn of the 1875 Bassett House will be the site of the official Texas Historical Marker dedication on June 8, 2019.
Bassett Farms Conservancy open house set for June 8
For the first time in its history, the 1875 Bassett House, thought to be the oldest brick house in Limestone County, will be open to the public on Saturday, June 8. The historic 2,400-acre Bassett farm and ranch was settled in 1871 and bequeathed to Preservation Texas, Inc., a statewide non-profit historic preservation organization, upon the death of Mrs. Willie Ford (Bassett) Sparkman of Dallas in 2010. The property will operate as Bassett Farms Conservancy. The Open House event is free and open to the public. The Bassett Farmstead grounds will open at 1 p.m.; the official Texas Historical Marker dedication will take place at 2 p.m. after which the first floor of the Bassett House will be open until 4:30 p.m. A workshop on restoring historic metal door hardware will also be offered at 3 p.m. Cake and ice cream will be served and cold drinks will be available for purchase.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/Marlin%20DemocratID558/