Multiple Shootings scare Marlin residents

There have been three shootings over the course of a short seven day period. All have taken place within Marlin city limits. 

The first took place on Memorial Day, near Gresham and San Antonio Street. 

According to Corley Heyle, who was sitting on his porch when it happened, a car on Gresham shot at his house on San Antonio Street randomly. He went inside to retrieve his own weapon, but when he returned, the car was gone. 

The Marlin Police Department and Falls County Sheriff’s Department were on scene. 

Shell casings were recovered from an AK-47, according to MPD reports. 

“Just rounds went up in the air,” said Sgt. Percy Brewer. 

The offender has not been caught yet, but may be tied to one of the later shootings, which took place on the evening of Friday, May 29. 

“It’s possible the same guy who shot those rounds is probably the same guy from last night,” said Brewer Saturday, referencing the Memorial Day shooting. 

The Friday night shooting also took place off of Gresham.

Officers arrived on scene and entered a residence, but the offender had fled. A male was injured during this shooting. He was taken to Falls Community Hospital and then sent to Hillcrest in Waco. His condition is unknown at this time. 

The suspect is still at large, but there are a number of suspects being considered. 

The evening before, on Thursday, May 28, citizens warned the community on Facebook that they had witnessed an individual walking the street and pointing their gun at cars that passed on Highway 6 and on Highway 7. A similar occurrence was reported near Hallsburg on Highway 6 on Saturday morning as well. Neither of these situations have resulted in shots being fired.

The other shooting took place early in the day May 29, at the Quick-N on Main Street. Two individuals went to the store for an unknown purpose, where an altercation took place in the parking lot with individuals from another vehicle.

According to reports, a female was held at gunpoint but not hurt.

The victim in the shooting was actually a male family member that arrived in the same vehicle as the shooter. He was taken to Falls Community Hospital and later taken to Hillcrest Hospital in Waco. 

The offender was later caught and taken to the Falls County Jail. He is facing two first degree felony charges and one second degree.

The number of shootings have residents worried about their safety and the safety of their children. 

“I’m scared to even let my kids outside now.” Heyle told reporters. “What if it happens again?”

As of Monday, investigations were ongoing in the Friday night shooting. Updates will be given as they become available. 

The Marlin Democrat

251 Live Oak St
Marlin, TX 76661
Phone: (254) 883-2554
Fax:(254) 883-6553